Sunday 12 May 2019

Norwich Millions Missing 2019

Yesterday's M.E awareness protest was great.  I arrived about 1.30 pm. I took my wheelchair as I knew there would be lot's of sitting and I couldn't carry a chair, blanket, coat, brolly, bag down to the protest area.
Me being rather shy and anxious in public situations, especially when I knew no-one, I sat around for awhile on my own. Then people started coming up to me - protestors and public.  Then I started to get involved.  Educating people who had never heard of this illness, Talking with people who had family with M.E, and discussing how Millions Missing is campaigning for Biomedical research. I had a placard and handed out information leaflets.


The shoes are iconic.  They represent the people that are to ill to get to the protest.  People who are bed/house bound because of M.E.
The labels also list the time ill, the activities those people miss doing from they're lives before M.E
The shoes were drawing the public over, it was great to talk to people who either knew of this illness and wanted to know more, or people who had never heard of it.



There were several of us with placards, We got a lot of people's attention, A lot of people reading and coming over to talk.

I missed the morning events as I was working, but the scientist's presentation about Biomedical Science is up on Norwich Millions Missing Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MMNorwich/ .  I only took these pictures, but more can be found on the above link too.

In the afternoon testimonials were read out from people who couldn't make it, and also by people at the protest.  I noticed a lot of the public stopping to listen which is great.

I met a lot new people who are part of M.E Support Norfolk, Hopefully we can meet again at the monthly meetings.

I was there for about 3 hours, towards the end I started to shutdown, zone out when people were talking, started to get chilly, and in pain. When I got home, watched some TV then fell asleep on the sofa.

Today is Sunday 12 May.  It is M.E & Fibromyalgia day. I am really hurting from yesterday's events, painkillers aren't touching it, my body is stiff and I'm very tired, but I know the M.E will hit hard from tomorrow. It always does,  I think I've got away with it, and then bang, I'm in bed and I have no energy to get out. I'm sure many of who attended yesterday will be feeling the same in the next couple of days.  It is the price we pay for trying to live a normal life that healthy people take for granted everyday.

Anyhow, it was worth it, I really enjoyed myself yesterday and I am looking forward to Millions Missing 2020.

Jasmin
#MillionsMissing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pain Clinic started.

6 days left of my sick leave, then 2 weeks of holiday, then I am back to my part time job.  Just over a week ago I had my first pain clinic...