Tuesday 4 June 2019

The state of our NHS

Ok, So I want to post about my experience with the Pain Clinic here in the UK. And I'm interested to hear if other people have had a similar experience.

Stupidly I think I have cleared out and thrown away old appointment letters, So I have no way of remembering the dates.  But I will try and remember the months approx.
I also apologise this is a long one, Bear with me 😝

So my first appointment was a consultation with a doctor at the Pain Clinic in Norwich. I was told at the time that the Pain Management course would happen within the next few months.  And would consist of a mix of one on one sessions and group sessions (group sessions make me very anxious, as people stare at me with my hunched back and shakiness)

In around June/July 2018 I attended a group introduction session, which went over what PACE was (Pacing, graded Activity, Cognitive behavioural therapy, randomised Evaluation) and various other ways to help manage pain.
I thought this was the start of the course.  Wrong!

I then had 2 courses cancelled, One was shortly after the introduction, the other was in December.

In January 2019, Finally!!  I had an appointment.  As I waited in the lobby area, I thought how strange there is only me there.  When I went into the room with the physio.  She asked if I knew why I was there. 😕 Bit of a strange thing to say.  So I told her of the two appointments that had been cancelled, and that I thought this was the 2nd session in the pain management course.  Wrong again!
She said "oh no, that hasn't started yet, this is just a catch up to see how you've been getting on"  What on earth is going on here?!?! How do you think I've been getting on?!  I'd been waiting around 7 months by that point.
Before I left the clinic we both went to the reception and made sure I was on the next one. March.
I also tell them to remove my mobile number from they're records as I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't get any signal. They had my home number and my mothers home number.

I wait and wait..  In May 2019, I get a letter stating that the pain clinic have been trying to call me in recent weeks, and if I don't call them within 2 weeks of the letter being written I will be removed from the waiting list. 😡😡😡😡😡 You've got to be kidding me!!! ( This had also been sent to by doctors surgery, which had me look like a time waster.)
I looked on my home phone... Nothing, I rang mum to see if they called there.. Nothing.  I looked on my mobile, they had called and left a message 10 days earlier.  1 call.  On a phone I said to remove as I don't get signal where I live. 🙈🙊
So, I try to ring the clinic, I rang 6 times over two days, left 2 messages, No answer.
So I rang another department, a lovely helpful lady answered, she tried and they picked up straight away.  Told her they're systems were down so couldn't see what number they tried to call me on and how many times..... riiighhtt….
Anyway, a nice lady called me back and assured me that I was on the list and it should be happening in September..  Is it me or is this being pushed back and back and back?

Today is 4 June, Mum rang today demanding answers, this is ridiculous.
The receptionist said that I would be needing a phone consultation before I am put on the list for the course?!  This is crazy!  I should be expecting a phone call in the next couple of days from a doctor at the clinic.
Apparently they are recruiting more psychologists, and they don't have enough staff.

There is a serious crisis with out NHS.  This department is not the only area within the NHS to have serious issues. I have a Herniated Disc, Fibromyalgia, M.E, Kyphosis, Lordosis - These are not illnesses that can be cured with a psychologist.

Has anyone else had troubles with they're pain clinic?  or management course?  Please post in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pain Clinic started.

6 days left of my sick leave, then 2 weeks of holiday, then I am back to my part time job.  Just over a week ago I had my first pain clinic...